Pearls have been used as a stunning natural gem in jewellery for generations. Their soft, lustrous glow is one-of-a-kind, but due to their fragile and porous nature it is important to care for them correctly. Knowing the right cleaners and methods to use is integral to keeping your pearl jewellery in tip top shape. If you take care of your Trollbeads pearls correctly, they will last for years to come!
Read on to learn how to clean pearl jewellery the right way – safely and effectively.
- Pearls can be washed in warm, soapy water, but make sure that you are using a mild detergent, such as dishwashing detergent or a delicate clothes detergent. Add a teaspoon of soap to a litre of water for the correct dilution and stir to incorporate.
- Make sure the water is warm enough, but not hot or boiling – very hot temperatures can damage authentic pearls. Ensure the detergent you are using is not abrasive as this may destroy the pearls’ natural coating, called ‘nacre’.
- Submerge the pearls in the solution for only around 10-15 seconds and remove. If your pearls are especially old or delicate you can skip this step.
- Next, simply wipe the pearls with a soft microfibre cloth or chamois dampened in the solution. Gently rub the cloth over the pearls to get rid of any residue and rinse under running water.
- Lay the pearls flat to dry completely before storing in your Trollbeads Collector’s Case, or a cloth bag if you aren’t ready to wear them, to keep them free of dust and dirt. It is important to store pearls away from other jewellery as their soft surfaces can be scratched easily by harder metals and gemstones.
Make sure to avoid any commercial jewellery cleaners containing ammonia, as these can damage or dissolve the beautiful nacre on the exterior of your pearls.
Always keep in mind that home cleaning methods have the potential to damage precious gemstones or extremely delicate jewellery. If in doubt, it’s certainly best to take your precious collection to a professional to make sure there aren’t any unexpected outcomes.
That’s all there is to it! Follow these steps and you’ll have gorgeous, gleaming pearls to last a lifetime!